|Yuan Yu-Ren, Adam|
BSc, Suzhou University (Organic Chemistry), 1992
MS, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai (Biophysics), 1995
PhD, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai (Cell Biology), 1998
Postdoc Research Scientist, Columbia University, (1998-2001)
Research Associate/Senior Research Scientist, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (2001-2006)
Our group works on two related research topics: 1) Small RNA processing mechanisms 2) Host-Pathogen interactions by the combinations of X-ray, NMR, Cryo-EM with genetic tools.
1) Small RNA processing mechanisms:
Small RNA plays significant roles for gene regulations both in eukaryotic and prokaryotic systems. Currently we are focusing on several large protein-RNA complexes involved in this pathway. We are focusing on the structural characterization of holo-RISC in Arabidopsis, human systems and CRISPR processing machineries in bacterial systems by the combination of proteomics, biophysics and genetics tools. Such efforts would eventually open a new avenue to understand the small RNA processing mechanisms in vitro and in vivo.
2) Host-Pathogen interactions
In addition to eukaryotic and prokaryotic systems, virus is another living species. Many viruses are harmful to plants, animals and human. Our current research focuses are on virus structure determination, screening of neutralization antibodies and vaccine development by the combination of structural biology and protein engineering. We also plan to use high-resolution bioimaging tools to directly visualize the virus infection process at single molecular level. Such efforts will open a new avenue to understand the host-pathogen interaction and provide new strategy to fight against virus infection. We have made considerable progress on vaccine development against several important animal and human viruses.
1. Zha X, Xia Q, Yuan YA. (2012) Structural insights into small RNA sorting and mRNA target binding by Arabidopsis Argonaute Mid domains. FEBS Lett. 2012 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Hou Y, Xia Q, Yuan YA. (2012) Crystal structure of BmNPV ORF75 reveals a pseudo-dimer of sulfhydryl oxidase domains with a putative substrate binding pocket. J Gen Virol. 2012 Jul 4. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Machida S, Chen HY, Yuan YA. (2011) Molecular insights into miRNA processing by Arabidopsis thaliana SERRATE. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011 Sep 1;39(17):7828-36. Epub 2011 Jun 17.
4. Yang X, Tan SH, Teh YJ, Yuan YA. (2011) Structural implications into dsRNA binding and RNA silencing suppression by NS3 protein of Rice Hoja Blanca Tenuivirus. RNA. 2011 May;17(5):903-11. Epub 2011 Apr 1.
5. Wang M, Soyano T, Machida S, Yang JY, Jung C, Chua NH, Yuan YA. (2011) Molecular insights into plant cell proliferation disturbance by Agrobacterium protein 6b. Genes Dev. 2011 Jan 1;25(1):64-76. Epub 2010 Dec 14.
6. Yang SW, Chen HY, Yang J, Machida S, Chua NH, Yuan YA. (2010) Structure of Arabidopsis HYPONASTIC LEAVES1 and its molecular implications for miRNA processing. Structure. 2010 May 12;18(5):594-605.
7. Qin H, Chen F, Huan X, Machida S, Song J, Yuan YA. (2010) Structure of the Arabidopsis thaliana DCL4 DUF283 domain reveals a noncanonical double-stranded RNA-binding fold for protein-protein interaction. RNA. 2010 Mar;16(3):474-81. Epub 2010 Jan 27.
8. Cheng A, Wong SM, Yuan YA. (2009) Structural basis for dsRNA recognition by NS1 protein of influenza A virus. Cell Res. 2009 Feb;19(2):187-95.
9. Chen HY, Yang J, Lin C, Yuan YA. (2008) Structural basis for RNA-silencing suppression by Tomato aspermy virus protein 2b. EMBO Rep. 2008 Aug;9(8):754-60. Epub 2008 Jul 4.