BSc, Zhejiang University (1993);
PhD, University of California at Berkeley (2001);
Postdoc, Stanford University (2001-2002) & University of California at Santa Barbara (2002-2005)
Nanomaterials/Nanophotonics/Biophotonics/Optical Materials/Materials Physics and Chemistry/Optoelectronics/ Optical Spectroscopy and Imaging: My primary research interest is novel nanocomposite materials and their linear and nonlinear optical properties as well as their applications in imaging, sensing, biomedicine and energy areas. Our research spans a broad range from materials preparation, fundamental understanding and practical applications.
1. X.-F. Jiang, L. Polavarapu, S.T. Neo, T. Venkatesan, and Q.-H. Xu*, “Graphene Oxides as Tunable Broadband Nonlinear Optical Materials for Femtosecond Laser Pulses”, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2012, 3 (6), 785-790.
2. X.Q. Shen, L. Li, H. Wu, S. Q. Yao, and Q.-H. Xu, “Photosensitizer-Doped Conjugated Polymer Nanoparticles for Simultaneous Two-photon Imaging and Two-photon Photodynamic Therapy in Living Cells”, Nanoscale, 2011, 3 (12), 5140.
3. L. Polavarapu, K.K. Manga, H.D. Cao, K.P. Loh, Q.-H. Xu, “Preparation of Conductive Silver Films at Mild Temperatures for Printable Organic Electronics”, Chem. Mater., 2011, 23, 3273.
4. L. Polavarapu, K.K. Manga, Y. Kuai, P.K. Ang, H.D. Cao, J. Balapanuru, K.P. Loh, Q.-H. Xu, “Alkylamine Capped Metal Nanoparticle Inks for Printable SERS Substrates, Electronics and Broadband Photon Detectors”, Nanoscale, 2011, 3(5), 2268.
5. M. D. Regulacio, C. Ye, S.H. Lim, M. Bosman, L. Polavarapu, Q.-H. Xu, M.-Y. Han, “One-Pot Synthesis of Cu1.94S-CdS and Cu1.94S-ZnxCd1-xS Nanodisk Heterostructures”,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133 (7), 2052-2055.
6. Z.P. Guan, L. Polavarapu, Q.-H. Xu,”Enhanced Two-photon Emission in Coupled Metal Nanoparticles Induced by Conjugated Polymers”, Langmuir, 2010, 26 (23), 18020-18023.
7. T.T. Zhao, H. Wu, S.Q. Yao, Q.-H. Xu, and G.Q. Xu, “Nanocomposites Containing Gold Nanorods and Porphyrin Doped Mesoporous Silica with Dual Capability of Two-photon Imaging and Photodynamic Therapy”, Langmuir, 2010, 26(18), 14937-14942.
8. X.S. Ren and Q.-H. Xu, “Label Free DNA Sequence Detection with Enhanced Sensitivity and Selectivity using Cationic Conjugated Polymers and PicoGreen”, Langmuir, 2009, 25(1), 43-47.
9. N. Tian and Q.-H. Xu, “Enhanced Two-Photon Excitation Fluorescence by Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer Using Conjugated Polymers”, Adv. Mater., 2007, 19(15), 1988
10. D. Cheng and Q.-H. Xu, “Separation Distance Dependent Fluorescence Enhancement of Fluorescein Isothiocyanate by Silver Nanoparticles”, Chem. Commun, 2007, No.3, 248-250