BSc in Physical Chemistry, Fudan Univ. Shanghai, 1978-1982
Founder & Principal Investigator, ChunQuan Technology LLC, Suzhou, 2016-
Utilization of C3-C6 alkanes for commodity chemical production via innovative selective oxidation process was Dr. Lin’s research interests in 1995-2006 period. She led two teams stayed in worldwide research forefront in exploring selective oxidation of propane to acrylic acid, and isobutane to methacrolein and methacrylic acid respectively. Subsequently, she became the first in the world successfully pioneered gas phase selective conversion of n-butane and cyclohexane to the corresponding methyl ethyl ketone, methyl vinyl ketone and cyclohexanone. Dr. Lin’s most recent research interest is developing a clean and green process for the production of methacrylate from bioisobutanol, a biofuel. Dr. Lin’s innovation in these areas have led to 34 patents, 23 of which recognize her as the first or sole inventor. Dr. Lin made presentations frequently in various scientific/academic conferences and published equally in the leading chemistry journals in the world, such as JACS, most times as the first author. One of her article was among the "Top-50 Most Cited Articles" in catalysis journals published worldwide in 5-year period from 2001 to 2005, for which she was recognized as one of the most cited authors by both North America Catalysis Soc. and European Congress on Catalysis in 2007. Dr. Lin and her team won Innovation Research Awards from the US Department of Energy 9 times since 2002. In 2014, she won a First Place award in the 9th Chunhui Cup Competition held by Chinese Dept. of Education and Dept. of Science and Technology. In 2015, she won the finalist at Jiang-Su Province Science and Technology Innovation Competition, and subsequently won a 2nd place for Jiang-Su Province in New Material Category in the National Final Competition.
1. M. Lin, X. Wang, Y. Yeom, Gas Phase Heterogeneous Catalytic Oxidation of Alkanes to Aliphathic Ketones & Other Oxygenates, US 8,981,157 (2015)
2. W. Eng, J. Grinberg and M. Lin, "A Green & Clean Process for the Production Methacrylic Acid and Methacrolein from Biofuel", Cleantech 2014, Proceedings page 336-339
3. M. Lin and K. Pillai, Selective Oxidation of Alkane to Oxygenates, CN200880002648.5 (2013)
4. M. Lin and M. Linsen, A process for preparing a metal oxide catalyst, EP 0,962,253 (2009)
5. M. Lin and M. Linsen, Production of Catalyst, JP 4,390,906 (2009)
6. M. Lin, Catalyst useful for oxidation reactions, US 6,812,366 (2004)
7. M. Lin, "Selective Oxidation of Propane to Acrylic Acid with Molecular Oxygen", Applied Catalysis, A: General, 207 (2001) 1-16.
8. M. Lin, T. Desai, F. Kaiser, P. Klugherz, "Reaction Pathways in the Selective Oxidation of propane over a Mixed Metal Oxide Catalyst", Catalysis Today, 61 (2000) 223-229
9. M. Lin; M. Boyd and W.J. le Noble. "Orbital Symmetry Control of Epimeric Rates of Generation of an Allylic Cation from Sterically Unbiased Precursors", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 111 (1989) 8746
10. M. Lin, C.K. Cheung, W.J. le Noble, "σ Delocalization Induced Stereoselectivity in the Capture of Cumyl Cations & Failure of Stabilizing Substituents", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110 (1988) 6562