Pooi-Yuen KAM obtained the S. B., S. M., and Ph. D. degrees in electrical engineering in 1972, 1973, and 1976, respectively, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass., USA.
From 1976 to 1978, he was a member of the technical staff at the Bell Telephone Laboratories, Holmdel, N. J., U. S. A., where he was engaged in packet network studies. Since 1978, he has been with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore, where he is a professor. He served as the Deputy Dean of Engineering and the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, Faculty of Engineering of the National University of Singapore, from 2000 to 2003. His research interests are in the communication sciences and information theory, and their applications to wireless and optical communications. He spent the sabbatical year 1987 to 1988 at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, under the sponsorship of the Hitachi Scholarship Foundation. In year 2006, he was invited to the School of Engineering Science, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Canada, as the David Bensted Fellow. He was a Distinguished Guest Professor (Global) at the Graduate School of Science and Technology of Keio University, Tokyo, Japan for the period of April 2015 through March 2017. In year 2017, from May through July, he served as a visiting professor at the Department of Electronic Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. He is taking up a visiting professorship at the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) in Chengdu in April 2018.
1. Communication Theory and information science with applications to RF wireless communications, laser free-space optical communications and coherent optical fiber communications
2. Optimum statistical signal processing, detection and estimation theory
3. Probabilistic systems, artificial intelligence and learning systems
1. SONG, T, M W Wu and P Y Kam, "Mitigation of the Background Radiation for Free-Space Optical IM/DD Systems". IEEE Communications Letters (Available online 31 October 2017). (United States). DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2017.2768418.
2. LI Y, M W Wu, X Du, Z Xu, M Gurusamy, C Yu and P Y Kam, "Nonlinear phase noise tolerance for coherent optical systems using soft-decision-aided ML carrier phase estimation enhanced with constellation partitioning". Optics Communications (Available online 20 July 2017), Elsevier. (Netherlands). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2017.06.098
3. IWATA, S, T Ohtsuki and P Y Kam, "A Lower Bound on Secrecy Capacity for MIMO Wiretap Channel Aided by a Cooperative Jammer with Channel Estimation Error". IEEE Access, December 2016, 5, no. 1, (2016): 4636 – 4645. (United States).
4. WANG, Q, T Song, M W Wu, T Ohtsuki, M Gurusamy and P Y KAM, "Impact of Pointing Errors on the Error Performance of Inter-Satellite Laser Communications". IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, 35, no. 14, (2017): 3082 – 3091. (United States).
5. YUAN, H and P Y Kam, "Soft-Decision-Aided, Smoothness-Constrained Channel Estimation over Time-Varying Fading Channels With No Channel Model Information". IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 16, no. 1, (2017): 73 – 86. (United States).
6. DU, X, J Zhang, Y Li, C Yu and P Y Kam, "Efficient joint timing and frequency synchronization algorithm for coherent optical OFDM systems". OSA Optics Express, 24, no. 17, (2016): 19969 – 19977. (United States).
7. SONG, T, Q Wang, M W Wu and P Y Kam, "Performance of Laser Inter-Satellite Links with Dynamic Beam Waist Adjustment". OSA Optics Express, 24, no. 11, (2016): 11950 – 11960. (United States).
8. WANG, Q and P Y Kam, "Optimum Detection of Two-Dimensional Carrier Modulations with Linear Phase Noise using Received Amplitude and Phase Information, and Performance Analysis". IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34, no. 10, (2016): 2439 – 2451. (United States).
9. WANG, Q and P Y Kam, "Tight, Closed-Form Bounds and Invertible Average Error Probability Expressions over Composite Fading Channels". KICS/IEEE Journal of Communications and Networks, 18, no. 2, (2016): 182 – 189. (South Korea).
10. SONG, T and P Y Kam, "Robust Data Detection for the Photon-Counting Free-Space Optical System with Implicit CSI Acquisition and Background Radiation Compensation". IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34, no. 4, (2016): 1120 – 1132. (United States).
11. HU, Q, C Yu, P Y Kam and H Kim, "Optimum linewidth of spectrum sliced incoherent light source using a gain saturated semiconductor optical amplifier". IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, 33, no. 17, (2015): 3744 – 3750. (United States).
12. YUAN, H and P Y Kam, "On the LLR Metrics for DPSK Modulations over Two-Symbol Observation Intervals for the Flat Rician Fading Channel". IEEE Transactions on Communications, 63, no. 12 (2015): 4950-4963. (United States).